“The Lasallian charism, a gift of God to the Church through St Jean-Baptiste de La Salle, has a history of more than three hundred years. Its purpose is to provide a human and Christian education to young people, especially the poor, in line with the ministry entrusted to it by the Church (Rule, n. 3). Through the dedication of Brothers and Lay Lasallians, we have served the Lord, often in the midst of great difficulties, by educating and evangelising young people”.
The De La Salle Brothers began operating in Latin America and the Caribbean during the second half of the XIX century (1863). Their rich activity meant they were occupied in primary and professional education, in the training of teachers and developments in the educational science and catechetics. They gave generations of children a quality education. Lasallian education has contributed significantly to the cultural, social, economic and political transformation of our countries. The Brothers have become established on the peripheries and the frontiers of our Continent, and they are signs of hope through the Lasallian Educational Mission.
In the light of recent Chapters, we are called to continue this commitment of association in order to respond to the challenges of the XXI century (cf. Circular 447, Documents of the 43rd General Chapter), by being people of interiority who live according to gospel simplicity (cf. Circular 455, Documents of the 44th General Chapter), keeping in mind the richness of Circular 466, They will call themselves Brothers. We are living in a time of grace, a time of transition, which leads us to look deeply into our charismatic and evangelical history. It is a time which inspires us to turn to liberty, boldness and creativity in direct experimentation and to face up to this present moment as a time for personal and institutional conversion towards the world of the vulnerable and the impoverished.
In harmony with various aspects of the 45th General Chapter, this Congress aims to be a response to the “One Call, Many Voices” by bringing together 250 Lasallians united by the charism and mission for the service of others.
Thus it is that the Regions of Mexico and Central and South America CALL ON the Lasallian community of Latin America to participate in the 2nd Lasallian Education Congress of Latin America.
THEME: The Education we need, for the world we want to have.
- Lasallian pedagogical thinking.
- Attention to the education of vulnerable groups – women, migrants, handicapped, human rights.
- Educating for sustainability.
- Characteristics of a school that lives for tolerance and the construction of peace.
- Responsible use of technology in education.
OBJECTIVE: To promote knowledge, awareness and action in Lasallian education as a response to the challenges in contemporary Latin American society.
LOCATION: Universidad De La Salle Bajío; León Guanajuato, México
DATES: October 19-21, 2017
- Keynote Lectures for all the Congress participants, presented by invited specialist of top quality and international reputation.
- Thematic panels, given jointly by various invited specialists.
- Presentation of research work and experiments in educational science, which promote the advancement of knowledge in relation to the theme of the Congress. Proposals for presentations will be made by participants and evaluated by the academic committee. Similarly, presentations of the results of practical work in education will be proposed by the participants and assessed by the committee.
People working in Establishments of Education at various levels, students of education in higher education, undergraduate and postgraduate.
FORMS OF PARTICIPATION
- Presenters of various kinds: Panel discussions, Presenting research work and educational experiments, Exhibitions of portfolios
19, 20, 21 of October – Dates for the Congress
23rd of March – Convocation of the Congress
April and May – Early registrations
June to September – Registrations
3rd of April to 30th of June – Reception of proposed work
3rd of April to 31st of July – Assessment of proposed work
19th to 23rd of August – Publication of results